Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wild Light and Doves, 6/7 @ House of Blues Boston

Note: I hijacked an internet-bearing computer at work because my manager is away and I can get away with it for another couple of days, but its abilities are limited so I can't post any pictures or videos on here just yet. I'll flush this out later...

Always one to be late to the game, I finally saw a show at the new House of Blues across from Fenway Park on Sunday night. Wild Light, who I can't seem to stop mentioning on this thing, was opening for Doves, the ambient indie kings of Manchester.

I've never been to another existing House of Blues so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was a great use of the space formerly occcupied by Axis and Avalon (RIP). The stage was wide and just high enough off the floor to give us a great view of the bands and the sound quality was sharp. There was ample room to dance around on the floor without inconveniencing too many, as well as easy escape routes should one need to leave the concert floor for a refreshment at one of the 3+ bar areas studded along the walls.

The crowd was surprisingly sedate during Wild Light's set despite the fact that the band announced the show was a homecoming and was their last stop on the tour with Doves. A 50+ man with a toothy grin asked me what their name was at the end of their set, so I know they made at least one new fan.

TBC...

Also want to write about Passion Pit and The Phoenix Boston Music Awards...but the bank has blocked many websites from their dear tellers. I'm off to explore what else I'm blocked from seeing online, and maybe help a customer or two...

No comments: