Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Shins, The Boring.



I saw The Shins on 5/20 at The Orpheum. A friend invited me and I agreed to go because, 1) I missed the friend, and 2) I like going to shows. However, I'm not a huge fan of the band. I had a moment or two back when I was 18 during my freshman year of college, much like the tens of thousands of other college freshman who still fall victim to the band these days.

Ok, they're alright. I grew tired of the band about a week after buying Chutes Too Narrow. They still bore me, but their live set bored me something fierce.

I don't know many of their songs aside from those on that big album that came out around the same time as that little movie that helped their star to rise. I don't think that's the reason I didn't enjoy the show though. Rather, it was the fact that they played all of the slowest songs in their catalog and it was such a snooooozefest. Even my friend, who I'm pretty sure liked The Shins a lot more than I do because she bought the tickets, was yawning and fighting the urge to curl up in her seat and take a cat nap.

Oh yeah, and I don't like shows at The Orpheum. Rows of stationary chairs? Assigned seating? $10 beers? Three strikes, Orpheum. Three strikes.

So, case and point, The Shins are really boring live and I think their fame has worked against them. Maybe in a small club with no chairs and a large bar they would put on a good show, and I was in fact told that they do great in that kind of venue. But that show in Boston was a fail. A crowded, sleepy, steamy, expensive fail.

No comments: